Hamlet house fire

Fire crews work to put out a house fire in Hamlet in wintry conditions.

HAMLET — Two adults and three children lost their Hamlet home after a nearby generator caught fire on Tuesday afternoon.

At about 2:30 p.m., neighbors reported a fire burning in the home at 79721 Hamlet Rd. and used fire extinguishers to slow the flames until firefighters could arrive. No one was in the home at the time.

Hamlet house fire

Two adults and one child were displaced after a house fire in Hamlet. 

About half of the house was on fire by the time crews arrived, said Matt Verley, the chief of the Hamlet Volunteer Fire Department. A generator near the house appeared to catch fire, which then spread into the house.

Weather conditions and the structure of the home made it particularly hard to fight the fire, Verley said. Because the fire was trapped in a part of the attic difficult to access, it took firefighters almost six hours to put out the flames.

“With 6 inches of snow on the ground, getting on the roof to ventilate was difficult,” Verley said. “Before others got there I was using fire hoses to clear off the snow so we could work.”

The house is considered a total loss, but crews were able to retrieve some personal items for the family after the flames were put out.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.