Seaside and Cannon Beach fire districts responded to a fire at 307 Sunset Boulevard around 1:30 p.m. Thursday, April 13.

The fire started in the crawlspace of the house, Cannon Beach Fire and Rescue Lt. T.J. White said. There were no injuries, White said. Homeowner Joanne Lewis said she started to smell smoke Thursday afternoon when she stepped out of the shower of her Sunset Boulevard home. She followed the smell to her sewing room, where she found billowing black smoke. Lewis said her late husband built the house 21 years ago, and she has been living in it with her dog ever since. “I’m devastated,” Lewis said. “I’m a seamstress. Sewing is my respite. I hope my fabric isn’t ruined.”

The fire started in the crawl space of the house. The fire appeared to be accidental and caused by a faulty furnace or electrical wiring, Cannon Beach Fire Chief Matt Benedict said. The only structural damage found was in the crawl space, though the rest of the house has some smoke damage, he said.

0
0
0
0
0

Online Poll

In your house, do you say 'Merry Chirstmas' or 'Happy Holidays?'

You voted:

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.